Tag Archives: Bulletproof Diet
Are butter and coffee the answer to weight loss? According to Dave Asprey, the creator of the Bulletproof Diet, these two foods along with a laundry list of “bulletproof” foods are how you can shed pounds and reclaim your energy. If you think this diet is different than all the others, you’re sadly mistaken.
Asprey, once morbidly obese, lost weight and has spent over 15 years and over $300,000 hacking into his own biology. The theory behind the diet is if you choose bulletproof foods, and avoid those that are kryptonite and “toxic” foods, you will lose weight, become smarter and transform your life (mind and body).
There’s no calorie counting or measuring portions. and the weight will melt away without an ounce of exercise. The diet consists of 50 to 60 percent calories from healthy fat, 20 percent from protein and 20 to 30 percent from vegetables.
Bulletproof Coffee is a must-have on the plan. Asprey claims that most coffee beans are filled with toxins, so it’s important to purchase “low toxin” beans from your local store. To make your morning Bulletproof Coffee, combine “low toxin” coffee with grass-fed butter and either coconut oil or medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil. This 400-calorie cup of joe promises to help get you into ketosis so you can burn fat, lose weight and halt hunger. Bulletproof Coffee can help you follow intermittent fasting if you choose, so snacks are not encouraged.
There are so many rules on this plan it can make your head spin. Here are some of the main ones:
1. Eliminate gluten and sugar.
2. Limit fruit to one to two servings per day.
3. Eat foods high in fat, like pasteurized egg yolks, krill oil, grass-fed meat fat and marrow, avocado oil, coconut oil, and sunflower lecithin.
4. Limit polyunsaturated fats (like safflower and sunflower oil).
5. Choose organic grass-fed butter as your main source of dairy. If you are allergic, ghee or colostrum (from the cow) are alternatives.
6. Choose grass-fed meats that are as fatty as possible. If grain-fed meat is your only option, then choose the leanest option.